From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Shannon Stoney
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:37 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: why fold on the grain?

        Hi, I am a beginning bookmaker. I have been told repeatedly
to fold with the grain when making, for example, accordion books.
But today I was messing around with Epson Enhanced Matt ink jet
paper, and I FOLDED IT PERPENDICULAR TO THE GRAIN!  The reason I did
this was that I was thinking the easiest way to make an accordion
book with photographs would be to print them sideways on a roll of
said paper and then fold it.  But, then you would be folding
perpendicular to the grain, as the grain appears to run lengthwise.

Would this be really, really bad, or  only medium bad?

--shannon

PS the paper appeared to stand up fine when folded perpendicular to the
grain.

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>