Re: [BKARTS] why fold on the grain?

On Feb 23, 2005, at 8:36 PM, Shannon Stoney wrote:

 I FOLDED IT PERPENDICULAR TO THE GRAIN!  The reason I did
this was that I was thinking the easiest way to make an accordion
******************************
In addition to the various reasons that have already been stated, I
also suggest that students think of machine-made paper as a bamboo
placemat --- the mat will roll very nicely in one direction, but not in
the other.
And, if the fibers in the grain direction get wet or humid, the entire
sheet will expand away from the bound edge, whereas against the grain,
the ends of the fibers are trapped by the bound edge and cockling
occurs.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695