Re: [BKARTS] linen and cotton comments

How about hemp?
Jen
South Australia

<<Years ago Bill Minter got book conservators thinking -- as he often
does about different techniques and materials. That time it was about
cloth used for bookbinding. He had adhered various types of cloth
samples in the hinge of the door of his favorite and very popular
local diner to see which material would undergo the most folds as the
door opened and closed. Well, the linen broke before the cotton. This
was startling "news"  to me since I had assumed that linen is the
most durable, the most etc. In follow up conversations with textile
conservators, I found that they preferred to use cotton rather than
linen for repairs that would be flexed a lot over the years. And,
recently, Friederike Zimmern performed some analytical tests  on the
fold endurance of aerocotton (90,000 or 71,500 folds) and aerolinen
(16,000 folds) until the cloth samples tore. The info is in her
article "Board Slotting: A Machine-Supported Book Conservation
Method" http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v19/bp19-25.html
I am sure that quality and processing methods influence the
durability of either material. Though we still use linen sometimes,
mostly we use cotton in book structures that flex.

Olivia Primanis
Book Conservator
Ransom Center, University of Texas>>