Re: [BKARTS] rolls of paper and grain

Shannon,

It can't be.

In the making of paper by mechanical means the pulp, slurry, is forced onto a
moving screen. The screen drops away and the paper after several other
possible processes, including drying, is curled into a roll.

Think of the grain as the fibers of the paper, which if fact it is. Those
fibers align with the direction and flow of the slurry. Visually and also
physically it is very much like throwing a popsicle stick into a
stream: the stick
will not float downstream sideways, it turns lengthwise in the
direction of the
flow.

Paper flows the same way.

OK, I get it now. I misunderstood Charles's explanation before. I
thought he meant that the sticks  were sideways.

--shannon