Re: [BKARTS] On this paper grain thing

On this paper grain thing:

You should just do this so you can see what will happen. Note this in the
colophon so your reputation will remain intact.
One of the things that tends to distract me in teaching is when a student
desires to break a "cardinal" rule of a process. Usually NO amount
of discussion
will derail that course of action or impulse so it must be done to gain some
understanding. Once the explosion occurs or the sauce fails, the lights
sometimes come on.

It is one of the habits of bookbinding I insist be followed because it works
better. But try it   the other way and really observe the results. Take notes,
make models and fiddle with them. Look at trade books and see how they change
with societal impact.

Roger Powell once showed me two books that appeared to be identical--except
one was grain correct and the other was not. It was a dramatic and powerful
example of a simple principal. It would be a good thing to make a
pair of books
to demonstrate the point.

I cannot soften this- In the long run if the book or object matters, do it
correctly. It is a precept of good craft.

Livin' on a cloud.....T.ELY

after writing my little piece on the matter a few days ago, i came across my notes on the subject from a class.

i had essentially pleaded with the professor to see what would happen
if i bound a book crossgrain - i had in hand a little 'mistake', a
sheaf of sections that i had already folded crossgrain, by accident.

she, not particularly renowned for tolerating students' impertinences
or improvisations,  half-shut her eyes and said, 'try it  ... and
take notes'.

so i did. here are my notes:

"reasons why not to sew/glue a book against the grain:
- immediately upon removal from the sewing station, it starts to
buckle in the middle.
- on gluing, it buckles further and will not dry straight (there
seems to be a twist in the spine)
- on being nearly dry, the book twists awkwardly.
- it rounded very well, however. "

fran

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>