Re: [BKARTS] Inkjet printers

Richard is right, the printer depends on a number of variables, archival,
costs, project, substrates, experience, etc.

There is not much doubt that Epson is the best.
But that is based on the use of pigment inks, sometimes third party and a
lot of experience
needed to keep things running smooth and to get perfect prints.

I do all me editions on Epson, both artist books and photographic prints.
I use the 7600 more often because of larger formats
and because it has a straight paper path so you can print on odd substrates
like metal, glass, lucite, board etc.

The 1200, 1280, 2100 and 2200 series are all 13 inch desktops
and some work better that others for adapting to third party pigment inks.
But they have bent paper paths and will not take rigid substrates.
Most can be fed with fabrics or various types.
The newer models are 7 color and more friendly to black and white images.
As desktops they are cheaper, but not made to last as long as the wider
format, industrial strength Epsons.
The desktops are fairly cheap on Ebay.
The even cheaper, four color Epsons are not really good enough for serious
photographic work,
but will work fine where color requirements are not as strict. They tend to
be restricted
to small paper sizes.

Lasers render beautiful results, but the colors are fugitive and they are
not flexible
in regard to inks and different substrates.

Pigment does count if you have any concern for archival longevity,
or just want to be decent to your customers in terms of dollars spent
in relation to archival longevity. In a very real sense, dye based inks
border on ethical business practices.

If you are printing small format, black and white text, stick with the HP
LaserJet 4.
Much less upkeep and maintenance problems.

The expertise required with Epson inkjets escalates tremendously the more
you care
about photographic quality rendition. In which case the monitor, scanner and
printer need profiling.
Considerations of hue, saturation, contrast, brightness are all interrelated
and also relate
to the paper, the ink set, the driver, which also need to be profiled. The
variables escalate because of the complexities
involved with all the above components. Expertise with Photoshop is
necessary
as the only tool powerful enough for really critical work.

Simplistic color requirements, however, can be easily met with less
complicated and less powerful tools
and so you are back to decisions about the task, substrates, costs,
experience.

If you intend to do a lot of work over a long period of time
you are better off in the long run biting the bullet
and becoming experienced with the Epson and Photoshop.

If you only have a few isolated projects, you are far better off
with the cheaper and easier to use equipment.

bon chance

Michael Andrews