Re: [BKARTS] linen tapes: tensile strength vs. fold durability

Amy and Patricia,
Both of you have asked some very good questions, many of which I and a
few of our colleagues have been asking for years. Unfortunately, there
has been very little research into our use of linen versus the possible
use of cotton. We have some information from textile conservators, such
as Olivia Primanis and I have learned. At the same time, we can do some
simple, grass-roots testing, but we really need someone to research the
various aspects of both fibers.
As I have mentioned, most of the today's flax is retted with oxalic
acid AND then bleached to obtain, what the manufacturers claim to be a
better fiber. I suggest that this type of processing is for today's
market, but has little concern for the long term, especially when we
use linen thread for non-adhesive bindings and exposed-sewing
structures. And, when we combine that processing information with the
rigid (brittle?) nature of the fiber, we may be asking too much of the
traditional fiber. Yes, it has great tensile strength, but what are we
looking for and what do we need. Remember as well, that we are making a
kettle stitch (knot) that further stresses the linen fiber.
On the other hand, we have learned that cotton has a better folding
capability. Yes, it is weaker in tensile strength, but should that be a
big concern? We know that unbleached cotton is available, in fact I
obtained some samples of unbleached cotton thread in a size (bulk)
comparable to our usual linen -- this was supplied to me by TESTFABRICS
Inc., but I have not had any time to work/play with it. In one very
quick test, I found that cotton could be a better fiber for our
purposes, BUT more testing is needed.

There are many factors to consider and it is my hope that a major
institution will look into the various aspects of both linen and cotton
fibers, as a sewing thread, as a sewing support, and as a fabric for
hinges and for covering -- maybe someday?

Bill Minter