Re: [BKARTS] Headbands ain't headbands!

Wonderful!  Thanks for sharing this!

Signa

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Peter Krantz
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 11:18 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Headbands ain't headbands!

Greetings,

We have been recently repairing a Hindu Dictionary, published in Delhi in
1978.

Upon removing the covers, we found the headbands to be a Nylon clothes
zipper, simply cut to size.  One side of the zipper is glued to the head of
the spine, and the other side to the tail.  Quite ingenious really, the
cloth part of the zipper ideal for gluing down, and the teeth part so
shaped, such that it easily passes for the fancy or sewn area of a headband.

We left it there and repaired around it, thus preserving this unique feature
of bookbinding adaptability!

Peter Krantz
Book Restorations
Sydney