[BKARTS] Bookbinding in Ithaca

Space is still available in our upcoming Bookbinding Intensive I:  Cross
Structure Workshop and Islamic workshops with Margot Ecke and Michele Brown
beginning next weekend on Saturday, April 16. If interested, please call
277-3884 or email The Ink Shop at artists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cross Structures (day sessions with Margot Ecke) are non-adhesive bindings
with interlocking paper covers.  Seven variations of this structure will be
taught in this two-day course and students are encouraged to experiment
with different types of decorative cover paper.  Because the sewing on the
spine is often exposed, colored thread may be used to enhance the design of
each book.  Cross structures open completely so that every part of the page
may be used, making these books perfect for sketching and journal
writing.  This is a wonderful structure for students who like to have fun
with design.  The class is suitable for all skill levels.

Islamic Binding (evening sessions with Michele Brown) is a simple binding
sewn with a chain stitch cased into a cover with a fore-edge flap.  We will
use paper and colored tyvek as the covering material over light-weight board.

Each workshop can be taken separately.  Call to inquire.  Also ask about
hotel, B&B and restaurant discounts for this weekend.

Instructors: Margot Ecke holds a BFA from Cornell University and a MFA from
Rhode Island School of Design.  She earned a Printer's Certificate from
Tamarind Institute and a Certificate of Bookbinding from North Bennet
Street School.  She currently holds the Victor Hammer Fellow Residency in
Book Arts at Wells College.  Michele Brown is currently Book Conservator at
Cornell University and spent 6 years as Bookbinder-In-Residence at Wells
College Book Arts Center.  She has taught many workshops in Japanese and
western bookbinding techniques.

Details:
Saturday and Sunday,10 am - 4 pm
April 16 and 17
Location: The Ink Shop, 102 W. State Street in Ithaca (across from the
State Theater, near The Commons)
$280 nonmembers /$238 members ( + $25 for materials)
All students enrolled in the workshop have free use of the studio during
the duration of the course.

Discounts:  Associates of The Ink Shop receive a 15% discount on all
workshops.  Seniors and students also qualify for the 15% discount on all
workshops.  Anyone may use the 15% discount coupon from our printed
brochure once each Spring, Summer, and Fall.

--

THE INK SHOP PRINTMAKING CENTER & OLIVE BRANCH PRESS                    102
West State Street, Ithaca, NY 14850    607 277-3884