Re: [BKARTS] Question Re: PARCHMENT MAKING WITH JESSE MEYER -

Hello--I am a graduate of the Jesse Meyer workshop.  There are odors in
a tannery and the dehairing takes place on the loading dock level where
several large drums are in place.  One open vat  used by the tannery
but not in Jesse's parchment making has formaldehyde (or related
compound) in it much of the time, as I recall.  It gives off fumes,
occasionally strong ones.

But, the entire production is fascinating, and gratifying.  Not to be
missed.  A glimpse of  the18th century  almost.  The physical effort
involved makes you feel some connection to a lost world.

David Hodgdon