[BKARTS] Memoir

I think that one of my motivations for moving to Mexico was Winston
Smith writing with a dip pen in a beatiful old notebook that he
purchased in the shop of Mr Carruthers. We have less democracy and more
freedom here.

In 1970, I started writing out books in my own handwriting and trying to
recover the calligraphy skills I had at fourteen years old. Although
this began as note-taking -- personal journalism, really -- it soon
became an obsession.

Over the years, I used many different kinds of pens --Speedball,
Osmiroid, Mitchell Roundhand, Hunt Crowquill, Graphos, Rapidograph. I
cut quills from peacock and goose feathers. I went back so far into my
past that modern devices disappeared from my life -- first television,
then the telephone, movies, automobiles, electricity. My calligraphy
always remained a bit tentative, but my books were all the more human
for it  -- not scripture, but a human hand.

Memoir was the first handwritten book that I began with the idea of
publishing as a novel. Created entirely in Yelapa, Jalisco, Mexico, and
completed in 1974, it is now available as print-on-demand book. Thank
you for allowing me to share with you the realization of a childhood
dream in the most satisfying of the many press releases that I have
written in my entire life:

Memoir by Jules Siegel
<http://www.lulu.com/content/113989>

Printed: $23.90, 304 pages, 6.0 x 9.0 in., Perfect-bound, 60# cream
interior paper, black and white interior ink, 100# white exterior paper,
full-color exterior.

Free Preview:
<http://www.lulu.com/items/113000/113989/1/preview/memoir.preview.pdf>

The private erotic diary of a mysterious artist, his beautiful wife, and
her tempting sister, in a steamy tropical fishing village where there
are no roads, no electricity, and no escape from each other or their
memories.

Written in my own calligraphic hand, often by candlelight or oil lamp,
with many sketches and other illustrations, Memoir dissolves through
reality, dreams, fantasies and visions of tenderly explicit sex and
unrequited love. Unlike many "literary" novels, however, Memoir is a
pleasure to read, as the text and the visual presentation combine to
tell the story in vivid detail.

Originally published in 1975 in an edition of 350 copies, this book
established me as a book artist. It was exhibited at Franklin Furnace
along with my other literary art works. Memoir became part of the
Artists Books Collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York, when
Martha Wilson sold her collection.

--
Mad Laughter, Fragments of a Life in Progress
Now available at http://www.lulu.com/jules

http://www.newsroom-l.net/blog