[BKARTS] Bookbinding in Cleveland Ohio

Midwest Chapter Annual Meeting in Cleveland, Ohio April 29 &30, 2005

Friday, April 29

1pm-4 Tour of ICA Intermuseum Conservation Association.

                        2915 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44113

                        www.ica-artconservation.org

Friday night dinner and discussion

Saturday, April 30

10am. Cleveland Public Library

325 Superior Avenue NE, Cleveland, Ohio 44114

www.cpl.org

Bindings in Special Collections, interesting restoration/projects, split paper

2:15pm The Rowfant Club

                        3028 Prospect Avenue E, Cleveland, Ohio 44115

                        Tour, coffee and refreshments

7:30pm Strong Bindery located in Loganberry Books,

13015 Larchmere Blvd. Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120

                        Annual meeting of the Midwest Chapter and Swap & Shop

                        www.logan.com/loganberry

 Sunday enjoy Cleveland sights and museums on your own.

The ICA was founded in 1952 by the directors of six major Midwest museums to provide professional art conservation services. It was the first regional conservation laboratory in the United States and now services over 30 member institutions. From 1952 to February 2003, the laboratory was located on the Oberlin College campus in Oberlin, Ohio. In 2003 ICA moved into its own building on Cleveland's west side. Originally build in 1926 as a showroom and warehouse for Vitrolite, an innovative structural glass company, the historic building has been retrofitted with laboratories/studios, offices, workshops and a large art storage facility.

Our guide will be Albert Albano, Executive director of ICA and Head Painting Conservator. He'll lead us through the entire facility and we can see and discuss the projects being worked on. We will end up in the paper conservation lab.

Founded in 1892, the Rowfant Club is a gentlemen's book club much like The Grolier Club in New York. We will been given a guided tour of their library and see some fine bindings and publications.

Loganberry Books moved into it's present location in January of 2004. Ellie Strong has her bindery, Strong Books there. The bookstore is located one block from historic Shaker Square. We will meet in the newly renovated "Theater" room. There are several restaurants and taverns located within walking distance of Loganberry. Bring slides to show, projects to share and  items to trade or sell.

Registrants will be sent maps with instructions

Registration cost: $20(for GBW members) ($25 for non-GBW)

Contact Cris Takacs

crisctakacs@xxxxxxxxxx