[BKARTS] German Primary Headband Questions

Daniel ... the German endband Laura Young refers to was learned from Wiemeler and his students, for example Arno Werner and Gerhard Gerhlach in this country. It has been seen in the work of Paul Adams and is I think an artifact of the Jungenstil movement initially.
I believe that you confuse her German endband with historical primary endbands. By the latter I mean those endbands, sometimes integral with the textblock sewing, which sometimes functioned as a base for secondary, i.e. plaited, endbands. See Szirmai on Medieval primary and secondary endband structures.
While the German endband Mrs.Young describes shares a number of features with, say, some types of German Medieval primary endbands, there are important differences. The use of crash or mull for example to wrap the core and reinforce the endband sewing. Also the German endband as described by Mrs. Young was most often sewn with coloured silks rather than the more common linen thread of historical primary endbands and uses a different stitch pattern. Again a close reading of Szirmai will elucidate these and other points.
I realize that this is not made fully clear by Laura Young's text. A few other points she didn't mention include: these endbands often appeared on text blocks composed of many, many thin sections and the tiedowns consist of a single strand of thin silk at each section. This weakness combined with poorly produced silk has tended over time to obviate the added strength of the German endband. Wiemeler also popularized a knife worked triangular core for endbands. This core provides a stable base resting on the book edge but a thinner , some say more elegant, top edge below the endcap. Also Gehrlach and others later came to prefer a Japanese HMP wrap for the core both to stabilize and reinforce the sewing of the endband.
There is no reason why some of these features could not be incorporated into a conservation binding, indeed they often are. However as Laura Young noted they are not historically accurate. Best, James

THIS EMAIL AND ANY ATTACHMENTS HAVE BEEN SCANNED BY McAFEE ONLINE VIRUS SCAN.