Re: [BKARTS] A most unique example of "cuir cisele"

This is partly a joke to lighten your day, but it is also very much for
real.

A very unique example of cuir cisele from the Braidense Library:

http://www.braidense.it/bookbinding/small/112s_fr.htm

I wonder what kind of documents it contained?

Can anybody guess?

Jake Benson

This is a direct translation from the notes. I threw it into babelfish on altvista, but I was tempted to make a busty joke if I could think of one:

112. Document-case of art lombard of the last quarter of XVe century
Engraved red leather decorated on wood. Three projecting caps for the
seals. On a side is engraved the quartered escutcheon of Gian
Galeazzo Maria Sforza (1476-1494) consisted of a grass snake of
Visconti with an eagle and surrounded of the signs of Sforza; two
buckets suspended with a tree trunk, between flames and water. At the
head, on a side, inscriptions "LAUS DEO" and "IO GZ/MA DX", other,
weapons of the Zenoni family originating in Bormio (imperial lion
crawling) surrounded of legend "NI/ZE" (Nicola Zenoni). At the sides
of the escutcheon, a framing provided with currency
"PUGNAX/BONITAS/VINCIT/MALOS". Engraved leather is obtained using
notches of leather by means of a graver or another cutting tool whose
edges are raised thanks to a blunted instrument. To confer a relief
on the intention, the background is levelled with a spatula and is
hammered with a stem with the round point in order to carry out a
sifted bottom. The document-case contained, at the time of the
exposure which was held in this Library in 1929, a paper of the
advisers of the three leagues concerning the community of Bormio of
1606. It was to be a question of a privilege conceded by the Duke of
Milan to Nicolino Zenoni de Bormio. Volume published by P. Colombo.
About fifteen Italian specimens of this kind of XVe century are
known. T of Marinis drew up a list or are indicated Venetian examples
of the same period. The royal Library of Turin has a box of voyage of
XVe century, also out of engraved leather, of Italian origin.
Specimen reproduces per G Bologna (6).

--
When I typed this email, it made total sense.
That does not guarantee it will make sense when you are reading it.