From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Editions
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 3:53 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] A BookFest Exclusive

Exciting news!  The first boxes of Incantations by Mayan Women have
arrived from Chiapas, Mexico.  The book began over 30 years ago when
Ambar Past took her tape recorder to remote Indian villages and started
documenting Mayan women's conjuring spells and drinking songs.

I'm going to let Ambar tell you about the book in her own words in a
separate message. She has a great story to tell and an engaging way of
presenting it.

Just to give you the basics, however, the book measures 10" square x 2"
thick, has 295 pages, 70 pages of original silkscreen graphics, and it
comes in a silkcreened case with a handmade paper liner. The mask covers
are handmade cast paper, and the endpapers are handmade palm-frond paper
dyed with campeachy wood and soot. Over 150 people worked on it as
authors, painters, printers, binders, silkscreeners, and they are all
listed in the colophon along with a page showing their signature, sign
or thumbprint. This is the first edition of 200 numbered copies.

Those who pre-ordered the book will have their copies shipped directly
from Chiapas.  The best bet for anyone else who wishes a copy--and the
opportunity to meet Ambar--is to come to BookFest.  BookFest opens with
a catered reception on April 8, 4-8 pm ($10 admission) and continues on
Saturday, April 9, 10-5 (free). The cost for Incantations By Mayan Women
at BookFest is $200.  Any copies remaining after BookFest will be
available on a first-come, first-served basis for $200 + $13 priority
mail shipping.

Checks should be made out to "Ambar Past" and sent to:

Editions

PO Box 624

Fleetwood NY 10552

At BookFest we are pleased to showcase this remarkable book.  But Ambar
is just one of 29 artists participating in BookFest and all of them are
presenting a wide range of beautifully crafted, handmade books.  This is
an excellent opportunity to see the best artist books from the United
States, Canada, and Mexico.  Even better, you get to meet the artists
who created the books face-to-face. I doubt that more enticing is
necessary, but there is also a show of miniature books that was put
together by the Miniature Book Society.

I'll look forward to seeing everyone at BookFest. The details are at
www.BookFest.com

Ed Hutchins

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>