From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Kate Hanson
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:49 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Book Arts Questionnaire

1. Define artist book (go ahead, take a stab at it!).

An artist who uses the book form as support for media.

2. Would you characterize yourself as a book person (binder,
conservator, etc) who recognized the book as an art form, or as an
artist who found books to be a fertile format, or as another animal
altogether?

An artist who has found the book form to be most seductive as a means of
interaction.

3. Why books? What is it about the book form, or the book as a concept,
or the book as a vehicle, or the book as a container, or books in
general that has inspired you to make them?

The book, most generally, has a linear format; first this, then that,
then the other.  I like the word "vehicle" because I use it to carry
those things I find that are too precious to pass up.

4. What are the usual materials that you employ to make books? What are
the most wild and innovative materials you've used?

My materials are found objects so they are not outrageous, just
unexpected.

You're welcome,
Kate Hanson
P o Box 604