Re: [BKARTS] Origin of word

Paul,

My students and I thank you for the informative and interesting answer
to my query
as to the origin of the word Boustrophedon.  Now, I'm wondering about
the spelling?
The Germanic  spelling doesn't have the letter "u".  I suspect that
both are correct.
Appreciate your efforts.

Joan Michaels Paque
JMP Atelier

www.joanmichaels.paque.com

Paul T Werner wrote:

My trusty Bailly (pretty much the last word in Greek dictionaries)
gives the following (which I translate from the French):

"Boustrophedon:" adv. turning from one line to the other, like oxen
from one furrow to the next, i. e., writing alternately left to right
and right to left, writing practice found in ancient Greek
inscriptions.

The source is Pausanias, 5, 17, 6. Pausanias was the author of an
ancient Greek guidebook circa 180 CE.

Chaire!

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
THE ORANGE PRESS, publishing "Vellum Preparation: History and
Technique"
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the
techniques of the medieval scribe

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>