Re: [BKARTS] messages to Book Arts-L from museum-security.org (or: Mr. Werner do not make statements that are based on quicksand)

I have waited a few days before answering the insult below:

"...all of the messages relayed from this "museum-security" group seem to
contain the same message: "There are evil people(usually
lower-class or non-European)doing evil things."

Especially the 'lower-class or non-European' part really did hit me because
there is no ground at all for this accusation. Calling our organization
'this "museum-security" group' already seems to be a hardly subtle
defamation of the free service we offer.

We maintain two mailing lists: the Museum Security Network mailing list and
the Cultural Property Protection Net mailinglist. Those of you who really
care are invited to browse our archives at:
http://te.verweg.com/pipermail/cpprot/, and
http://te.verweg.com/pipermail/msn-list/. You will see that there is no
ground at all for Mr. Werner's weird accusation.

Hundreds of messages about incidents with cultural property have been send
to our 2000 readers in 85 countries for the past 8 years. Just very few of
those messages have been forwarded by me to Book Arts-L and Exlibris because
I expected these to be of importance to the book community.

We do not select our messages on actions by 'lower-class or non-European'.
Social or ethnical backgrounds in no way are relevant selecting the
information we send. It also by no means is true that 'lower-class or
non-European' are over represented in our messages. Contrary, we report a
lot about art thefts, illicit excavations and looting in war time. Most of
these criminal acts are performed by, or financed, directly or indirectly by
well educated Europeans and Americans. Londonm Brussels, Paris and Amsterdam
are centers of illicit trade in cultural property. The USA is a real
consumer country of looted antiquities. So, please do not try and accuse me
of putting focus on 'lower-class or non-European'.

I do hope that the information Mr. Werner is giving his students at NYU and
the School of Visual Arts is more adequate and based on facts than what he
just did on this mailing list.

Ton Cremers