Re: [BKARTS] Origin of word

Thanks Paul for the additional information regarding the spelling of the
word.  Yes, it
would be nice to get the German point of view.  Have gotten others
interested in the
same query off line.  This was another source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon_text

Thanks again,

Joan Michaels Paque
JMP Atelier

www.joanmichaels.paque.com

Paul T Werner wrote:

The greek spelling uses the greek alphabet, obviously. The german
spelling is a transcription of the original Greek. There are various
traditions in various languages for transcribing ancient greek words.
Whether "bostrophedon" is the accepted transcription in German I don't
know, though I have reason to doubt it because "bos" is the Latin for
cow and "bous" is Greek, so "bostrophedon" would subject the user to
the ridicule of confusing the two. In English it's "boustrophedon,"
as glance at the Oxford English Dictionary will tell you.

On Tuesday I will be passing by a serious German dictionary or two and
I can check this out if you wish. Strikes me as a bit of krokylegmus,
though.

Paul T Werner, New York http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
THE ORANGE PRESS, publishing "Vellum Preparation: History and
Technique"
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the
techniques of the medieval scribe