Re: [BKARTS] Flattening paper from rolls

Sounds like a good deal to me!

If you can humidify the paper using a wet blotter in a tight container you should be able to flatten out the paper without damage to it.

Place a wet blotter or half inch of water in the bottom of a storage box or garbage can. Find some kind of (clean) trivet or platform to raise the art paper away from the water and a lid to keep moisture inside the box. Place the paper on the platform and cover the box. Let it alone for a while—at least an hour. It might take several hours. The paper will absorb enough water vapor to relax a bit, and you will be able to dry it flat between blotters and under weights.

I would recommend blotter paper to interleave for drying rather that wax paper. You can find blotter in large sheets at most art stores for not too much. If you don't have any, do get some, because it makes a lot of bookbinding chores much easier.

Don't leave the paper in the humidification chamber too long (I'd suggest less than 24 hours), because you will risk mold. If no water actually touches the paper, there should not be any discoloration. I don't think that the texture of Ingres is particularly fragile. I often use it for endpapers without any problem, but you could test a piece first, if you are concerned.

Carol
Eugene, OR