[BKARTS] Dissolving Book Exhibit

April 15, 2005

CLASS CREATES 'APRIL SHOWERS' BOOK EXHIBIT

Boise State University English Department's Introduction to Book Arts
classes are taking a cue from spring's rainy weather for their
"April Showers" book exhibit, April 22 to May 16, first floor of
the Liberal Arts Building on the BSU campus.  A PowerPoint version of
the exhibit is available on-line (see URL, below).

Students created books using "Dissolvo" water-soluble paper, which
is popular with spy enthusiasts and their instructor, Tom Trusky, who is
producing a dissolving book this coming fall. Trusky's classes were
encouraged to take advantage of the paper's dissolving capabilities
and create books that complement its unique qualities.

For example, student Carrie Applegate created a catalog for the
fictional "Queue & Co.," an upscale spy outfitter and "suppliers
of fine espionage equipment since 1952." The spy tome is hidden inside
a West Elm home catalog.

Student Kenji Hyde used the paper's qualities to reflect an internal
struggle. He used a "hidden room" structure for his book. It is
constructed out of one piece of paper and contains an internal chamber.
Hyde uses this "room" to house memories, images of terrible events
that can't be washed away.

Susan Beitia, student author of "The Same Old Story of the Damage
Done:  A Cautionary Tale," writes of her book, "This is a true story
about a person I love who is killing herself.  I would like to give this
book to the person I wrote it about, because I think my writing and
illustrations might have a stronger effect than spoken words have."

-30-

PowerPoint exhibition:
http://english.boisestate.edu/ttrusky/studwork.html

Contact: Tom Trusky, English department, (208) 426-1999,
ttrusky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Media contact: Julie Hahn, University Relations, (208) 426-5540,
juliehahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx