Re: [BKARTS] Dissolving Book Exhibit

It seems to me, that this project Tom Trusky has undertaken is more
than amusing: it is, so it seems to me,  the very ANTITHESIS of what
many practitioners in book art believe most essential to their work.
'What is book art, if not "Archival"?'.

As an educator, I however  also believe that this project is more than
mischievous (and perhaps a bit insidious) it presents a most
wonderfully delicious learning opportunity. Like making books as
consumable food that one literally eats, in this project, the students
come to grips and to reckoning something more than it logistics, but
also its implications as a genre of art. It raises specific questions
as to the relevsnce and priority we as artists place on it being
"archival"? Does it matter?  How Much if it does? When and how it does
or does not?

My congratulations to you, Tom.  I look forward to the works made and
to the "what I learned" commentaries of your students.

Norman Shapiro
ufemisms.com
ufemisms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx