[BKARTS] making your own decurler (was flattening paper et al...)

A friend sent me this. It is copied from a blog at http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi013/Epson9600.html, which was posted on June 1, 2004. I am not sure I could make one, but some of you might be more handy with this kind of thing than I.
best
diana jeon

Curling is a serious problem with photographs printed on roll paper. In this entry I provide two ways you can de-curl your inkjet prints.

1- First, Jerry McCollum developed a personal technique aimed at removing curl. Here is how Jerry does it together with instruction on how to build the jig you will need. Please note that I did not try this technique myself.

Materials needed:

- 3 inch PVC pipe

- 0.010" polycarbonate sheeting (comes in rolls, look for it on Google)

- packaging tape and a sheet of paper

I routinely cut 36" wide rolls into 24x36 sheets for my 7600. I currently use Hawk Mountain paper.

After cutting the sheets with a standard mat cutter, they roll themselves into tubes which must be de-curled into sheets before using them in the 7600.

I made two de-curlers. While one unit is de-curling, I am loading the other and then switching back and forth every minute to load tubes and unload sheets.

My tubes are 40" long

The polycarbonate sheets are 40x28"

The TWO sheets of 0.010" polycarbonate material I use on each tube gives me superior quality.

The polycarbonate sheets are taped to the PVC tube so that they open and close like 2 pages in a book. There is no tape between the two sheets. A piece of paper the thickness of the material I normally cut is glued around the PVC tube up to the edges of the polycarbonate sheets. This creates a contiguous surface when the tube is rolled (no seam pressure marks).

Use is simple. Work the edge of the curled sheet of paper between the polycarbonate sheets. The 0.010" polycarbonate is just stiff enough to keep the paper flat so it slides easily. Once the paper is slid between the polycarbonate sheets the tube is flipped and rolled. A simple Velcro band keeps the tube rolled while the other tube is loaded in exactly the same way. Once the second tube is loaded, the first tube is allowed to unroll.

Voila - flat sheets!!

Polycarbonate is the ideal material for this process because it takes repeated rollings yet always remains stiff. Through trial and error, I found that 2 sheets of the 0.010" polycarbonate are ideal for my sandwich on papers ranging from 100 gsm to 400 gsm.

2- Here is a second way to remove curl. This time you don’t need to buy any materials since you can reuse what you already have.

- Use the cardboard tube at the center of Epson 24” or 44” roll papers

- Tape a long piece of 24” or 44” archival paper to this tube

- Place the photograph between the archival paper and the tube. Make sure the printed side is facing the archival paper

- Roll the curled photo paper and the Archival paper around the tube
***********************************************
The Bonefolder: an e-journal for the bookbinder and book artist
Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>