From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of John
Cutrone
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:33 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: regarding a story

I didn't notice any responses to Audrey Hill's question from a few days
back regarding the re-using of a story, so this may be the first. Perhaps
this situation doesn't come up very often, but Audrey, our next Convivio
Bookworks book actually traveled a very similar road. The story is
something that I heard, years and years ago, from a Catholic priest, and it
always stuck with me. I know where I heard it, but I haven't a clue who it
was who told it, and no one claimed it, either, when I inquired. Seems to
me a tale that's been told and told again, who knows how many times. So it
is very much in the oral folk tale tradition.

And then I come along and write it down, years later, and now, even more
years later, turn it into a book. The book's introduction makes note of all
these things, so it is clear to anyone who reads it that the story is not
mine; it is simply something that I recorded, and adapted. Talk about years
to make a book! I probably heard the tale in the late 80s, wrote it down
years later, and I remember being at the Penland School in North Carolina
in 1995, at the Pines dining room, and getting a sudden inspiration for an
illustration for the main character. I drew it on a napkin and kept the
napkin for years, too, before finally scanning it and making it into a
polymer plate just a few months ago. If all goes as planned, I'll be
printing that illustration, finally, this weekend.

Audrey, it sounds like you've made thorough work of trying to find your
story's source. I think you can re-tell the tale in good conscience. And I
think you're on the right track, too, by crediting and thanking your source
and mentioning the fact that you can't find him.

Our book, by the way, should be out (finally!) later this spring. A glimpse
of the decade-old Penland Napkin illustration and a brief description of
the book may be found at our website:

         http://www.conviviobookworks.com

You'll find "The Room of Crosses" at the top of the "Current Projects" link.

With respect to all the storytellers,
John

Convivio Bookworks
Handmade Books from Lake Worth, Florida