Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 27 Apr 2005 to 28 Apr 2005 (#2005-118)

My daughter successfully dyed mixed bag of leather scraps primarily bright
white in color.  She used Rit dye and my washing machine. She was going to a
turquoise for a kachina doll.  She followed instructions from the box.  I
think we added salt.    We let it soak over night .  The results were quite
impressive though some pieces did not take the dye evenly.  It sounds like
your goat skin is well prepared /tanned and most likely would accept dye
evenly.  Her scraps were as I said a mixed bag.

Other thought would be walnut ink very dilute, possibly applied in a water
bath like the washing machine.

She ran the wash to rinse/spin out the scraps and laid them flat to dry.
Some curled and others remained flat and pliable.  Again I believe it was
the variants of the mix ,not the dyeing process that made the differences.

I've had excellent success in washing furniture grade leather in washing
machine with mild soap & water.  Not conventional but fast.

Good luck
Mary Taylor

http://www.TaylorArtTechs.com/
mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx