[BKARTS] Exceptional book artists in Aurora, New York

The Wells Book Arts Center is pleased to report an ever-growing number of
talented students are signing up for classes in our first annual Summer
Institute. Consider joining them! Registration continues through June 12th.
Enjoy intensive learning in a beautiful lakeshore setting in Aurora, New
York. Open to all levels.

JUNE 19-25, 2005

Julia Leonard, "Binding Structure and Story"   The visual, tactile and
intimate qualities of the artists? book, whether traditional or experimental
in form, make the book?s structure an essential contextual element. This
workshop will explore connections between structure and content.
Participants will learn several non-traditional book structures that are
flexible & adaptable, making them particularly appropriate for presenting
material in alternative forms. We will integrate structure, text and image
to create books in which the binding enhances both the function & meaning of
a piece. Structures will include non-adhesive combination bindings, stiff
leaf variants, accordion folds and several of the many variants that can be
built off the basic accordion fold. We will switch classes with the
Langworthy workshop for an afternoon to provide students with exposure to
non-traditional methods on the press.

Sara Langworthy, "Drawing at the Press: Fluid Approaches to Innovative
Printing"   This class asks ?what would happen if?? and  encourages students
to then see ?what happens when.? Using  traditional fine printing as our
point of departure, we will explore and exploit the world of nontraditional
& innovative printmaking on the Vandercook. Students will be exposed to an
array of printing techniques such as pressure printing, excessive layering,
purposeful misregistration, painterly monoprinting, trace monoprinting,
incorporation of aqueous materials into printed sheets, stencils, handwork,
& more! Exercises will familiarize students with each process, and the class
will exchange prints from these first days. We will then spend one day
working in small groups on a series of collaborative prints, and the final
days of class will be devoted to focused individual work. We will switch
classes with the Leonard workshop for an afternoon to provide students with
exposure to non-traditional binding methods.

JUNE 26 - JULY 2, 2005

Nancy Leavitt, "Content, Form and Sequence: Genesis of the Hand Lettered
Book"   With content as the idea of our work and the book our form, we will
use poetry and mark-making exercises as a springboard to develop narratives.
Through playful research with text, pen, and paper, we will collect,
explore, and analyze ideas, and develop them into visual sequences to be
used in our books. We will develop new ways of working to strengthen the
substance and personal satisfaction of our work. Instruction will include
group and individual activities, slides, demonstrations, and discussion. We
will also make book models for use in future projects. Students at all
levels are welcome; everyone must be able to work independently. Although we
will be using calligrapher?s tools, no calligraphic or binding experience is
necessary.

Walter Tisdale, "Text and Image: The Printed Narrative"   What is your dream
book? How can a printing press and hand tool skills transform your mind?s
image to reality? How does the narrative influence the design of the book?
We will jump right into the simple mechanics of the Vandercook proof press
using movable type, and relief printing with wood and lino blocks. Each
person will print a folded-broadside in a small edition. Repetition during
edition work will reinforce the necessary skills. The final project will be
a collaborative effort using type and imagery in an accordion-book
structure. The narrative of this book will be developed by the class.
Simplicity is vital given the time constraints. It is important to spark
ideas during the class, but also develop physical models for reference
afterward. You will receive instruction in binding and hand stencil/pochoir
work. All skill levels will feel comfortable in this class.

For more information, please call us at 325.364.3420, email us at
bookartscenter@xxxxxxxxx, or visit our website at www.wells.edu/bookarts,
and click on the link to Summer Institute.