[BKARTS] Bevelled boards

I am lucky to volunteer in the Conservation Lab at Northwestern
University.  I was working on a book today that was published in
Cambridge, MA in 1878 and the boards were bevelled.  I was wondering
two things.  How would this have been done at the time, and, of
course, how could one do it now?  These were so evenly done, and
really made a nice looking book.

Thanks in advance.

Eileen