Re: [BKARTS] Bevelled boards

There is a picture of a board beveling machine in Harrild and Sons catalogue
of bookbinders machinery from 1892, reprinted in 1988  by The Guild of Craft
Bookworkers, Sydney AU.  Or you can use a spokeshave or wood workers plane.
jeff

======================
Jeffrey S. Peachey, PA-AIC
Book, Paper and Archives Conservator
150 E. 3rd. St, Suite 3E
New York, NY  10009

212-387-7860

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eileen Madden" <eileenmadden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:30 PM Subject: [BKARTS] Bevelled boards

I am lucky to volunteer in the Conservation Lab at Northwestern
University.  I was working on a book today that was published in
Cambridge, MA in 1878 and the boards were bevelled.  I was wondering
two things.  How would this have been done at the time, and, of
course, how could one do it now?  These were so evenly done, and
really made a nice looking book.

Thanks in advance.

Eileen