and paste papers for some of my field journals.  While I like the look,
it is not so durable as something painted with acrylic or lacquer might
be. I am intrigued. Andie

On Jun 2, 2005, at 9:00 PM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:57:52 -0400 From: Richard Minsky <minsky@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: Bevelled boards

I use a belt sander to bevel boards. The kind that bolts to a table and
can
be used horizontally or vertically, and also has a disc on the side
with an
adjustable platform that holds the work at an angle. I occasionally use
flat bevel, but most of the time prefer a slow slightly convex bevel
that
comes in 1 1/2" to 2" from the board edge. That soft bevel is
particularly
nice on lacquer bindings, where there is no board covering material, but
the boards are gessoed and painted.  There are some examples of various
bevelled and lacquered boards at