Re: [BKARTS] copyright free image source

Dear Alex and others,

If you have any money at all and want decent-quality stock photos, iStock Photo (http://www.istockphoto.com) is a fresh development to look into. Something about their business model lets them sell highly professional-looking photos for one to three dollars each, with no permission restrictions. But this is magaziney stuff, not archivey stuff.

If you are looking for fine art images, don't miss the Web Gallery of Art (http://www.wga.hu/). This European art history resource is extraordinary in terms of selection, image quality, and ease of use. And, since no artwork there is more recent than the mid-1800s, copyright is not a problem. If you have any doubt about using their images, they are very helpful with permission requests.

One of the good things about Clipart.com (which used to be ArtToday) is that they have a massive quantity of Dover archive images, downloadable for a per-week fee. At least, they did a year or so ago when I used them last. I found this more convenient and cheaper than looking up and ordering the Dover books for what I wanted. Just make sure to deselect color images in your searches, or you'll never find the good stuff in their nightmarish jumble of clip art. Most of what they pad their numbers out with is soul-smotheringly awful.

Barry's Clipart Server (http://www.barrysclipart.com) used to be kind of useful, but now seems to be loaded with Powerpoint-style crapola ...

(Thanks very much to the others who contributed links, btw)

--cml

Hello all,
I am looking for online sources of public domain image and photo databases
for a collage project.

I have found a wealth of items here:
Copyright Free Photo Archive: Public Domain Photos and Images
http://gimp-savvy.com/PHOTO-ARCHIVE/

However, most of the images are only 72 dpi and the print quality is too
low. I have searched for other similar archives, and haven't had much
success. Since many on this list have had great font sources to share, I
thought perhaps there are some public domain image archives out there
someone knows about.

The Dover Archives I know about, and work for some things I need, but not
all. And the Getty Images are too steep.

Thanks!
Alex Appella
www.transientbooks.com