[BKARTS] 19th century Scottish bookbinding

Hi folks
   Here is a little puzzle that has lately arisen in conversation with the
rare book librarians here at the Harvard Law Library.  We have an odd
coincidence in that two unrelated items are pointing in an interesting
direction.

Item One:  A trial report from 1830 published in London which some one took
the trouble to have bound in three quarter style, that light tan calf that
we all hate to work with because it blackens so easily, with ugly brown
pulled paste paper on the boards.  This binding has a binder's ticket on
the inside lower left for one Robert Seton, Head of the Mound, Edinburgh.

Item Two:  The Laws and Acts of Parliament {Scotland} published by Robert
Waldegrave in Edinburgh, 15 March 1597.  The volume came to us in an ugly,
and broken, nineteenth century binding, three quarter style, light tan
calf, ugly brown pulled paste paper on the boards.

 Now, there is insufficient evidence to argue that both bindings were done
in Edinburgh, much less that Robert Seton bound both these items.  However,
if Scottish binders in the 1830's were commonly using pulled paste papers
for their cheaper work, it might be a clue that the binding on the 1597
volume was , indeed, done in Scotland.  The English binders of the period,
to my hazy recollection, don't seem to be so inclined, and I think of paste
papers as more common in Germany and the low countries than the UK.

Anyone out there have thoughts on the use of paste papers in the UK,
especially Scotland, in the early 19th century????

Dorothy Africa