[BKARTS] Board Slotting Technique Questions

I've read BPG's "Board Slotting: A Machine-Supported Conservation Method" and was wondering if anyone has comments on

1) Available machinery
2) Praise for it's effectiveness
3) Concerns and/or instances in which the technique may be a bad idea.

I ask, in part, because I'm in the middle of reattaching boards and spines to a set bound in powdery sheepskin, extremely sensitive to water, and thinking "there has to be a better way!"

Bob Roberts
Maryville, TN