Re: [BKARTS] belgian secret binding / Kerrytown BookFest

To the list:

I have had a number of people contact me about Emily Martin's Secret Belgian
Binding that she will be teaching the day before the Kerrytown BookFest this
year, so I thought the list might be interested in the event that it is a
part of.

My wife and I are committee members that are organizing the 3rd Annual
Kerrytown BookFest in Ann Arbor.  The date is Sunday, Sept 11.  On Saturday,
Sept 10, Emily Martin will teach a workshop on the Secret Belgian Binding.
This workshop is being held at Hollander's which is right next to the
BookFest location.  Half of the revenue from this workshop supports the
Midwest Chapter of the Guild of Book and the other half the BookFest itself.
To answer a frequently asked question at this point - - Registration for the
Secret Belgian Binding will not begin until July 1 and you can only register
for it through our website page www.hollanders.com/workshopschedule.htm

On Sunday, the BookFest itself is filled with free on-going demonstrations,
presentations, author panels, kids activities, and book and book artist
vendors.  This year some of the special one hour presentations will include:
Book Art Structures (Jean Buecsher-Bartlett), A Papyrus Excavation (Leyla
Lamb), 19th Century Decorative Bindings (Cathleen Baker), Wood Engraving
(Jim Horton), and Altered Books (Chris Reising).  The University of Michigan
libraries participate in this event and offer many demonstrations on
bookbinding, book repair, and book conservation.  A children's tent will
have book making, marbling, papermaking, fish printing, and story telling
going on all day.  Letterpress printing and demonstrations are also a part
of this event and there will even be a tour of an old lino-type print shop,
located right across the street.   Free book appraisals (bring your old
books) are another highlight of this great event.

The website for the Kerrytown BookFest has not been fully updated as we are
still finalizing the program, but in another week or so it should be.  The
web address for the Kerrytown BookFest is www.kerrytownbookfest.org

If anyone would like an exhibitor application, I will be happy to send one
out.  Please contact me off list with your name and mailing address at
hollanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom and Cindy Hollander

Hollander's
410 N Fourth Ave