Re: [BKARTS] organizing stuff

Hi Mary Jo,
The best storage for paper I have found to be map drawer sets. While
these are usually very expensive if you buy them new $5-600, they are
very cheap at used office furniture places and especially government
surplus sales because so few people have a need or room for them. I
picked up a metal set of 12 drawers for $25 and a wooden set free when
an artist friend of mine moved into a smaller place and no longer had
room for it. It has 25 very shallow drawers that hold 24 X 36 sheets
nicely. My wife uses the boxes that carbon paper used to come in for her
81/2 X 11 sheets. Just piles them up on a shelf. The ends are hinged so
she can lift the pile up and open the hinge to pull one piece at a time
out. You can also get sorting bins or mail box cubbies from schools that
are closing or again government office. The mail boxes are meant to hold
items approximately 81/2 X 11.
A lot of offices are getting rid of these arrays of boxes because they
are downsizing. Find a P&G or a GM manufacturer near you and ask if they
are getting rid of any. I am without shame when it comes to asking for
stuff companies might be throwing away. I even ask to dumpster dive at
kitchen cabinet manufacturers and I get great laminated press boards as
well as drawer assemblies some time which I build into my work benches.
Dave

Mary Jo Koranda wrote:

Thanks, Christina, for the thread on organizing supplies, mine seem to
be everywhere and I can never get control of them. I am grateful for
everyone's suggestions. I have some additions ...

* Altoids tins for tiny stuff. I even saw a project in a magazine
about decorating them for gifts
* Card catalog. Mine already has home type tools in it. But
another suggestion about getting one. Do you have a university
nearby? The University of Wisconsin has a place, (sort of like
freecycle, not free but extremely cheap) and all the stuff that
departments don't want goes there. They are open to the public
once a month and they are packed. Everyone is getting rid of
their card catalogs. But they are solid oak and very, very heavy,
you could save some steep shipping costs if you can find such a
place. And I think the UW's even has an online auction now for
the better stuff.
* For ribbon (on spools), take a shoe box punch holes in the long
sides of the box. Then thread the various ribbons through the
holes. letting it hang out about 1-2 ". Depending on the size of
the box, you could get a number of ribbon rolls in there. I also
did one where I punched one hole in both of the short ends of a
shoe box. Thread the ribbon spools on a small diameter dowel.
The dowel has to be a bit longer than the box, so you can push it
through one side and thread the spools on the other end. The
ribbon can hang out the top of the box, between the cover and the
side of the box.

.... does anyone have a suggestion about paper? The 8 1/2 by by 11 or
12 by 12 stuff? I know you should not store it vertically but thats
what I have for know. I bought some plastic boxes with drawers from a
discount store (am I sure they are everywhere) and the 8 1/2 by 11 fits
lying down but they 3" inches deep. I have arranged them by color but I
always have to pull them all out and usually end up bending some. I'd
like something where I could store each shade separately, 1- 20 sheets.
Has anyone figured aout a system?
Thanks.

-- Mary Jo Koranda Circulation Librarian University of Wisconsin Law Library mkoranda@xxxxxxxx 608 262 2213 http://library.law.wisc.edu/

*********************************************** Edelpappband / “Millimeter” Binding Bind-O-Rama, Entry Deadline - October 1, 2005