Re: [BKARTS] Beer painting

I'll take a stab at this one,
I don't think the beer is going to cause any irreparable harm.  Sugars
are present in the watercolors anyway in the form of gums.  Sometimes
honey, now more likely glycerin is also added to colors to improve their
wetting up and drying characteristics.  Alcohol will also cause no
long-term harm- outdoor watercolorists have been known to add a bit of
rubbing alcohol or vodka to keep paints from freezing while working
under cold conditions.  My guess is that the beer just caused some of
the pigments (colors) to flocculate, or clump and settle out when
drying.  Watercolors are heavily engineered with each pigment requiring
differing amounts of additives to improve its characteristics.  The beer
just upset the design spec.  I think now that everything is dry you
won't see any worsening of the problem.

Doug Sanders
Senior Conservator
Indiana Historical Society