Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 7 Jun 2005 to 8 Jun 2005 (#2005-159)

In a message dated 6/9/2005 12:01:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Date:    Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:52:49 -0500
> From:    Mary Jo Koranda <mkoranda@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: organizing stuff
>
> .... does anyone have a suggestion about paper?  The 8 1/2 by by 11 or
> 12 by 12 stuff?  I know you should not store it vertically but thats
> what I have for know.  I bought some plastic boxes with drawers from a
> discount store (am I sure they are everywhere) and the 8 1/2 by 11 fits
> lying down but they 3" inches deep.  I have arranged them by color but I
> always have to pull them all out and usually end up bending some.  I'd
> like something where I could store each shade separately, 1- 20 sheets.
> Has anyone figured aout a system?
> Thanks.
> --
> Mary Jo Koranda
> Circulation Librarian

Mary Jo,

This isn't the cheapest or most recycling solution, but I use a couple of
kinds of plastic folders.  For bigger sheets, I use the gussetted 12x12 plastic
envelopes sold for scrapbookers. They are available at places like Office Depot
and Michael's.  I like best the ones sold by Container Store which have a tab
on the side so that you can put them into a three ring binder. I think they
are a slight bit bigger and actually a bit cheaper than the ones found
elsewhere. Container Store will also be happy to sell you the binder. It is a bit
pricey, but if you plan to be carrying sheets of paper (or small artist's books)
around, it comes in handy. At a local shop, I found some plastic "sweater"
boxes that are big enough to hold the plastic envelopes for 12x12 paper, and I
keep most of them in these.

For letter size sheets, I have gotten to be a fan of Beautone "Deluxe locking
project files" available at Office Depot. They are clear plastic pockets with
a little plastic flap on top that lets you "lock" the top. They have an
internal pocket for CDs, but what I do is put a piece of paper labeled with the
file contents in the pocket so it shows through.  I have to admit that I do store
some paper vertically, especially in the Beautone files, though the system I
use could easily be a horizontal one. My system is to cut sealed cardboard
boxes that are about 12x13x3 in two to make file boxes. (The boxes people get at
the post office for Priority/Express mail work are the right size, as are some
of the boxes places like Amazon use to ship books.)  I put these file boxes
side by side vertically on my desk or shelf, but they could easily be stacked
horizontally to make a sort of inexpensive small paper flat. With the papers
grouped in the plastic folders, it is easy to get out a few at a time without
wrinkling them.

Sally