Re: [BKARTS] Maintaining an old Dahle ... Rust removal and Oiling?

Gale,

I don't think you had a reply to your whole query, but in regards to a
maintenance regime and the rust on the blade sides I would suggest
what I have done  in restoring some 36" board shears [see archives
31st Oct 2003, or the Soc of Bookbinders Newsletter for Dec 2004].  I
rubbed the faces over with fine wire wool using an anti- rust gel or paint
[this was phosphoric acid compound available in the UK from a car
accessory shop or similar - I don't know what may be available in the
US].   This passivates the surface against rust, at least for some time!
My blades are still OK after a couple of years.

I suppose that cutting newspapers would have the effect of cleaning
the patches of surface rust away so that cutting paper or board would
not leave a mark, but it would still seem sensible to try and stop the
occurrence.  The blades must be kept dry and not oiled as this will
transfer to whatever material you cut - unless of course you cut waste
material until such time as no oil appears on the cut edge?

I am not sure what part of the mechanics you wish to "tune up" but I
think the oils you mention are to light for the high pressure which may
exist in the bearing surfaces.   A few drops of heavy engine oil or even
grease would probably be acceptable as I do not imagine any parts are
moving at high speeds

Rodney Fry
England

On 7 Jun 2005 at 11:24, Gale Flax wrote:

> Can anyone on this list recommend a good maintenance regime for a 20
> year old Dahle table top cutter.  (It spent about 5 years in storage
> before being resurrected for use).  It is similar to the new Dahle
> model 580 or 585 with a 32 inch blade.  The cutter has become
> separated from its manual, and the blade cuts well but has a little
> bit of rust up the sides and sticks from time to time.
>
> I recall being told that cutting newsprint (actual newspapers) would
> hone the blade.  Has anyone heard of doing this, and do you think it
> would work? Alternatively is there a machine oil, WD-40, or sewing
> machine oil that is approved for tuning up the mechanics?  Would
> prefer not to remove the blade for sharpening if I can avoid it.
>
> Thank you all for any advice you can share.
>
> Gale

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Message sent with PegasusMail 4.21B
System W98 4.10.2222A 2nd Edn on ABIT KR7A-RAID,
McAfee VirusScan v5.21, Mozilla v1.7 browser
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx