Re: [BKARTS] Drucker's article

I think rather than indulging in snobbery, Drucker is attempting to create a vocabulary and methodology to enable analysis and discussion of artists books, somewhat the way choreography is a vocabulary for dancers movements.
Everyone has their own biases but this can be of use to the advancement of the field. I agree with Drucker:
"We don't have a canon of artists, we don't have a critical terminology for book arts aesthetics with a historical perspective and we don't have a good, specific, descriptive vocabulary on which to form our assessment of book works"
I think it is only realistic to expect that there will be differences of opinion on all of these things.
Emily

On my first reading it's her jabs at the amateur, "crafts using materials
from Michael's," frequent repetition of the words "cruel" and
"gatekeeping" that make the stongest impression. When I re-read, I see the
value of many of her ideas for developing a descriptive volcabulary and
critical terminology. But there is still her insistence on the necessity
of strife and exclusion-- "I see turf battles and hurt feelings ahead"--and
her inclination to place blame for artists' books lack of status on the
presence of amateurs and their work, on the inclusion of work that is
merely personal, and other 'junk.'

The presence of amateurs and their work is really not to blame for the lack
of interest in the best work in this field. From the LA times article
recommended by R. Minsky:

"artists' books appeal to the most exclusive, least public aspects of art and
reading: ownership, one-on-one delectation and
too-expensive-to-be-mass-produced
snobbery."

We can choose our values and what kind of community we want to maintain
rather than assume collateral damage in the course of 'good scholarship' is
inevitable. Personally, I think the lack of attention is a failure on the
part of the existing critical apparatus, and that the quality of
inclusiveness, the way knowledge is shared among people in this field isn't
merely niceness or 'warm fuzziness' but an important and radical thing.

Emily Martin The Naughty Dog Press 742 7th Avenue South Iowa City, IA 52240 USA 319 338-7266 319 338-5741 (fax) http://www.emilymartin.com emilyjmartin@xxxxxxxxx The University of Iowa Center for the Book emily-martin@xxxxxxxxx On Jun 10, 2005, at 1:54 PM, Christina wrote:

Here! Here! Mary Yordy of Duke University!
Thank you for a clear and succinct summing-up of my own sentiments, and in
only a few paragraphs.
Christina, lurking in Los Angeles