Re: [BKARTS] fore edge painting

Lucy Childs wrote:

Does anyone have information on how to do fore edge painting?  Know of
any reference books or technique books on the subject?  Know of
teachers who offer classes?

There are a couple of pages on it in A Craftsman's Guide to Edge Decoration by John Mitchell (an excellent book in general).

The Guild of Book Workers just sponsored a series of lectures and
classes by an English fore-edge painter; I went to the lecture and was
amazed by his work, but unfortunately couldn't afford the class. I'm
embarrassed to say I can't remember his name. Anyway, GBW might have
some suggestions on teaching resources.

I don't know if anyone else on the list had the chance to attend one of
the lectures, but they were eye-opening for me. Previously, I had only
seen some shabby black-and-white photos of edge-paintings, so I was
astonished by their vibrancy and detail. My only disappointment was with
how, well, twee, the subjects were (English country house scenes,
Scottish fly-fishermen, etc.). For anyone willing to put in the time to
become a talented painter (as well as binder, gilder, typesetter, etc.),
there is a lot of potential here.

-- Matthew Garelick www.mattthehat.com