From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Jules Siegel
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 8:51 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Drucker's Gate

KT Pardue wrote:

> I think the problem occurs when, due to a variety of standards, my
poor
> rendition of Chopin's #2 Concerto is considered on par with Yvgeny
Kissin's
> interpretation. Drucker seems not to be declaring a cease and desist
on
> amateur endeavors as much as trying to establish what should be
measurement
> of professional work.

I think that establishing standards for cataloging works of art is valid
and useful. Quality of craftsmanship can be measured, too. But the
quality of a work of art as art, per se, is determined entirely by
subjective factors. "Professionalism" has nothing to do with it. What
professional criteria would you apply, anyway, other than mastery of
technique?

Example:
<http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/2002/NYSOPA_speech/bouguereau1.asp>

ARC Articles - ARC Philosophy Chapter III: Bouguereau and the "Real"
19th Century - Fred Ross - Page 1/3

In 1900 at the Universal Exposition in Paris, it is reported that Degas
and Monet were approached by a newspaper reporter who asked who, in
their opinion, would most likely be considered the greatest 19th century
French artist in the year 2000. After a brief debate, both agreed on one
man -- William Bouguereau.

---End quoted text--

I can remember when a major Bouguereau was sold for $17,000. Today, his
works sell in the million dollar range. Why? Is it a function of a
shortage of technically superb Victorian art available for sale? A
change in critical standards? Simply fickle fashion? Or is the market
irrelevant when it comes to quality?

--
http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts

http://www.newsroom-l.net/blog