Re: [BKARTS] WOID #XIII-18. Round hole in a square peg

This has been a fascinating thread, with many thoughtful comments. What I'd like to add
is that book art, to me, is the very distinct art of integrating visual art with language (and
yes, I know that many artists' books don't include language), but as someone who works
with language on a daily basis, I'm very interested in how that language, or these
symbols that represent language's sounds, couple with pictures/lines/shapes/etc. It's a
wonderful and difficult problem to solve. And when the book artist solves it by binding or
building a book in a most proficient technical manner and still makes the words & image
work, I'm in awe. And then there's the other thing: the process; the more I make art, the
less I'm interested in completion; it's the doing that brings joy.
Bertha Rogers

On 16 Jun 2005 at 17:54, Jules Siegel wrote:

> Paul T Werner wrote:
>
> > There may be a field for book arts, but there's no habitus, and perhaps there never will be.
And I've lost track of the number of artists, critics, dealers, collectors who've moved on, not because the
field "suffers from being under-theorized, under-historicized, under-studied and under-discussed,"
as Drucker puts it, but because there is no cogent area of performance marked off from other areas
like the fine arts, galleries, libraries, schools, printmaking workshops and so forth. The field of
book arts consists of a lot of people who happen to write, or think, or produce of sell books
as a subset of the same activity in art, or graphic design, or librarianship, book-selling, you name it.
If Outsider Art is an art that depends for its definition on a self-proclaimed Insider, then the book arts
are its mirror image: they exist, if that, only in the self-definition of a few practitioners.