[BKARTS] THe struggle for validation and inclusion

I have read a few of the letters recently about book arts being recognized as "real' art. As a photographer, I have read much about the similar struggle photography went through a hundred years ago. It also had no common vocabulary, no references to well-known photo artists, no recognition from the other genres within the art frame. It took years of struggle to be allowed in with the established arts. Stieglitz was probably the biggest mover and shaker to help photography attain art status (through his gallery in NY and through his magazine Camera Work)  Heck, even twenty years ago many juried art shows had the exclusionary words "No photography" in their prospectuses (i ?).   You could have bought original signed Ansel Adams or Edward Weston prints for under  $100 in 1960, I bet.  I don't know how long it will take for book artists to get into juried shows as easily as oil painters or ceramicists.  With our media technology today, and the quickness with which avant garde work becomes mainstream, or one movement (like post-modernism) becomes yesterday's news, maybe your bookart work will soon be shown side by side with a 4' x 5' photograph. The snobby reviews that have been discussed here are eerily similar to the reviews of early photographic art work. (I suppose that somewhere there is a comprehensive book on the grand struggles photographers have endured throughout history.) Who will be the Stieglitz of the bookart struggle? Which major musuem will wholeheartedly support bookart work in their galleries?  When will the buying public (collectors) start supporting us more, and somehow find ways to display our art in their homes and offices? I think that much can be learned from studying the last century of photographers and their valiant and patient struggles.
     John Deason
     Prairie Rose Press
     Muscatine, Iowa