Re: [BKARTS] The struggle for validation and inclusion

<Shireen Holman wrote: The National Museum of Women in the Arts in
Washington DC has been
supporting the book arts for several years, and now has its artists' book
exhibits in one of its main galleries.>

In April I learned I am the winner of the 2006 Library Fellows Award
from the National Museum of Women in the Arts. I am thrilled, but you
can imagine the difficulties I have had trying to describe the award
to friends and family. "When will you write the book?" "Can I buy it
at Barnes and Noble?" "What is the book about?" are some of the
questions from artists and non-artists - particularaly where I live
in Bismarck, North Dakota.

I try to describe my proposal as a piece of art rather than a book
you would sit down and read for hours. I have decided to start
carrying my mock-up around with me in case the subject comes up so I
can just SHOW them. I was pleasantly surprised when I told a recent
art history graduate what I was doing and she piped up with "I took a
class on artists' books at Moorehad State. They are so cool!"

I would like to send a press release to our local newspaper since I
think many people in Bismarck would be interested. Do any of you have
suggestions about how I could word it to be most easily understood?

Beth Weiss