Re: [BKARTS] removing label from vellum & terminology

Diane:

Removing the call number label from the vellum spine may be pretty easy.

Try carefully lifting a corner (perhaps using a single edge razor
blade) or some other thin instrument that you can work under a corner
of the label and try pealing it off.

If this method is only partially successful you can "moisten" the
label residue with a Q-tip like cotton swab or a small artist brush.
A small amount of moisture tap water or enzymes (spit) should not
cause any problems with the vellum - just don't get carried away and
completely soak the area.

If this treatment seems to loosen label residue wipe the area
carefully with your thumb nail or some other mildly abrasive pad. You
could also carefully scrape the area with the razor blade to clean
left over label gunk.

The "ghosting" you refer to in (On another note) sounds to me to be
an acid burn. This is not an uncommon problem. Many inks, once used
in letterpress printing, were highly acidic. Those acids are now
burning their way through your books.

Greg Campbell
Campbell-Logan Bindery, Inc.
800-942-6224
www.campbell-logan.com

Greetings all,
This question comes from a small academic library: we have an 1818
vellum bound volume moving from the circulating stacks to the rare
book location. Is there a safe way to remove the call number label,
or should I leave it alone?  These labels are heat fused to the
spine. It was suggested that heat would again soften the adhesive
enough to peel off the label, but I don't want to rip the vellum in
the process.  I know enough to keep moisture away from the vellum,
but heat? Any advice is most appreciated.

On another note, is there a correct term for the shadowing or
staining of the text area on the pages of a book, from the ink
itself? , where there is a ghost of a square or rectangle around the
text, but the margins are clear, as though the ink may not have been
quite dry when the book was pressed. We are in the process of
documenting the condition of some rare volumes that will be shipped,
and several books have this condition. I have been using the word
"ghosting" but perhaps there is another term?

Diane Nolting