[BKARTS] Shadowing

Shadowing = Fish oil.

Joseph Moxon in his book, _Mechanick Exercises on the Whole Art
of Printing_ publ. in 1683-4 (reprinted by Dover in 1978, and
whose page numbers are used here) complained about how English
printers managed their printing inks.

On pp. 82-84, he discusses the evils of English printing inks, as
compared with Dutch ('Hollanders') ink; on p. 83:

"... They make theirs all of good old linseed-oyl alone, and
perhaps a little rosin in it sometimes, when as our inck-makers to
save charges mingle many times trane-oyl [fish oil] among theirs, and
a great deal of rosin; which trane-oyl by its grossness, Furs and Choaks
up a form, and by its fatness hinders the inck from drying; so that when
the Work comes to the Biners, it Sets off; and besides is dull, smeary and
unpleasant to the Eye.  And the Rosin if too great a quantity be put in,
and the Form be not very Lean Beaten, makes the Inck turn yellow: And the
same does New Linseed-oyl."

A very good survey of the history of printing inks, and some of their
problems, is C.H. Bloy's, _A History of Printing Ink, Balls and Rollers_
The Wynkyn De Worde Society, London, 1967.

Cheers,

Jack

(snip)

>My feelings on the "shadowing", from past experience, leads me to believe
>that some inks had too high a concentration of the "vehicle" that carries
>and binds the pigments.  It's almost like there was too much oil in the
>ink, and it spread to produce the shadows.  Sometimes it even eats through
>the paper.  I bet Jack Thompson can give you the info you need..
>
>Bruce

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217