Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 9 Jul 2005 to 10 Jul 2005 (#2005-191)

Dear Laura,

I think your artists' book information sheet is very well done and would be
extremely useful in helping curators and cataloguers more accurately
describe the materials they handle.  I've been a cataloguer for many years
and for the last two years have been cataloguing the artists' books
collection at Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles.  Sometimes
dealers have included a small strip of paper with a brief description of the
book, most likely originally supplied by the artist, but more often not.
Since such information may be costly to include in a dealer's printed
catalogue (or may become separated from the book), perhaps publishing the
more comprehensive descriptions on the web, as what Printed Matter does so
well, would be a solution.  Additionally, the artist may also supply this
useful cataloguing data on his/her own web site.  Regardless of where or how
this valuable contextual information is provided, having it available would
certainly help expedite the processing of artists' books, as well as enable
cataloguers to more accurately and consistently describe and assign subject
headings for these wonderful materials.

Elizabeth Spatz
Graduate Student, UCLA Department of Library and Information Science