Re: [BKARTS] "digitally tattooed printed Leather"

I received an e-mail from Bella Harrison, Company Manager of opus90, at 5
am Tuesday, as feedback frrom my website contact form, and immediately
replied with a number of questions. I have not yet received a followup.
Printing on leather is a common practice in the wedding album industry,
where it's a normal product.

Below is an excerpt from my e-mail with the Q's I asked, and if I get a
reply I'll pass on the info.

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com

-------clip-------

Dear Bella,

Thanks for the info. I looked at your website, and would love to try your
material for bookbinding.

As you may have gathered from my website, I do a lot of work with digital
images and leather bookbinding.  I only saw one photo
of a book on your website (Harry Potter), and the image is small, so I
couldn't really get a sense of it. It looks like a softcover,
more or less like a paperback made of leather.  What I would like to use it
for is real bookbinding, and perhaps combine the
inkjet leather with hot foil and/or blind embossed stamping.

I'm not sure how much of my site you viewed (there are bout 350 pages), but
if you go to
http://minsky.com/guest.htm
you'll see some leather bindings that have paintings or digital images in
cover panels, and this sort of work (guest books and
blank books) might be well suited to your product. There are several
suppliers here in the USA who provide inkjet leather as an
output service, and photographic prints on leather have become popular for
album covers. The Epson 4000, 7000 and 9000 series
printers seem popular for this. Some suppliers do a better job than others,
and there are several variables that affect quality. One
of my clients is an album manufacturer, and I am in the process of
designing a cover for inkjet manufacture. Perhaps your
product would be good for this, as well as for some of my fine art
bindings, like those at
http://minsky.com/sectione.htm

One of the important issues is durability, both of the image and the
leather. Vegetable tanned leather can be many things.
Sumac tanning lasts for centuries and is the perfect combination of
workability and durability.  Mimosa tanning will start turning
pink quie rapidly, and may deteriorate in as little as 20 years. I was
fortunate to study a bit of tanning at The National
Leathersellers' Centre in Northampton in 1978, and to produce some sumac
tanned goatskin, which is still in exactly the same
condition as then. Different tannages will also interact chemically with
dyes and pigments in different ways.

1. Can you provide a specification sheet on the tanning of the leathers you
use, and can you run just about any leather through
your printer?
2. Do you provide the leather split to the user's specification, or in one
thickness for all applications? What is the thickness (oz
or mm)
3. Is the ink dye or pigment based?
4. Has the product been subjected to independent laboratory testing by
accelerated aging to determine longevity?
5. Do you have a preferred image format (jpg, psd, tiff, etc.)?
6. Is the leather coated after printing?
7. Does the image crack if folded and rubbed?