Re: [BKARTS] "digitally tattooed printed Leather"

Hello,
Some years ago, i had to case a pile of pamphlets of Wassers on mushrooms,
in one of the pamphlets was a picture of the statue of the aztec mushroom
woman squatting under a mushroom.  I scanned it, then pared very thin, three
calf spines and backed them with japanese tissue and ran them through my
small inkjet printer (which I still use) and put the leather on the spines,
slightly moving the image, so when the three books sat in the case, an
almost full image of the mushroom woman showed.
Heres a real bad photo, if you enlargen it, the image is seen a tad better.
http://charlenematthews.com/pics/mush01.JPG

I dont know if the image has faded, most likely not, as it is sitting in a
dark library.  I did bend and handle the leather with the image roughly,
(short of gluing it to the local cafe door, sorry) and it seemed fine.

The customer was happy!

Charlene Matthews

Obviously fascinating things could be done with bookbindings!
Lots of people on this list already paint on the bindings, why
not print?  It's like the difference between manuscript books and
printed books, it's a whole different medium.

If anyone HAS printed on leather, pls. share pictures!

Back to lurkdom ...

Susan Fatemi susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx