Re: [BKARTS] gorillas and tack, and making bookcloth

Dear Pauline:

I quote from a website, http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/4058,
that sells the product:

 Spray adhesives tend to migrate into thin paper stocks and if you?re
not very careful
the adhesive can be uneven causing problems later on. Double Tack
requires no heat,
moisture, glue or activator. Sandwiched between two heavy release sheets
is a Double
Tack which has a two coating of permanent, acid-free and archival
adhesive on both
sides. Just lift up on one release sheet, then apply the sticky side to
what you are
mounting and then remove the other release sheet.

    I take nice fabric, cut a piece about equal to the size of the
double tack (it
comes is three sizes: 9X12, 18X24, 24X36), strip off one of the coating
sheets of the
double tack, and apply the sticky just exposed side to the fabric; then
I smooth it
down and trim it to size. This is the new bookcloth.  For using, I cut
it to size, and
just before applying the fabric I strip off the remaining coating sheet.
 Sometimes it
is necessary to iron the fabric to assure a smooth mounting surface.
    I live in Philly, and there is a fabric store here that sells
primarily unholstery
fabrics.  They have regular sells of beautiful remnants in generous
sizes, 6-10 yards,
enough to bind a hundred books, for $5-$10.  I find these fabrics make wonderful
bookcloth.
    Of the many methods discussed in this group for converting fabric to bookcloth
(consult the archives)  I am sold on this one, which was recommneded by
an very
knowledgeable clerk in an art supply house here.
    I am deeply disappointed in the bookcloth I find in bookbinding
supply houses.
    Welcome to  BOOK_ARTS!!  10% of what I learned I learned in
bookbinding class.
The other 90% I learned from the very generous and talented members of
this discussion
group.
Jet

--