Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - libraries

>Libraries also have problems cataloging without an ISBN number or
>Library of Congress number.  I am speaking of smaller public libraries.

>If they can't find it on OCLC they don't know what to do with it.

That may be true of a few small libraries, but not most of them.
Catalogers use a wide variety of sources beyond OCLC to deal with
non-standard and older materials.  There are a lot of materials out
there that don't have ISBN numbers, particularly older books and some
small-press or self-published ones.  There are a lot of challenges to
cataloging, but the average cataloger out there adapts easily.

Also, many (if not most) smaller libraries use Dewey instead of LOC.

Jesse Ephraim

Adult Services Librarian
Southlake Public Library
Southlake, TX  76092